HEADER BLOG TITLE

14/07/2014

Single Crochet Square Pattern

Single Crochet Square used in the Patchwork Blanket
USA Terminology, Hook Size 4
Yarn: Elle Premier DK in Grey and Taupe available from Woolhogs 

Hello! When Di made contact with me yesterday, inquiring about the pattern I used to make the Patchwork blanket, I decided to finally write it down and make a posting. Easier said than done though! I think I know now why I did not write it down in the first place.  It is easy to crochet, but fiddly to explain (perhaps due to my own lack of technical skills). Di and her friends living all over the world, are participating in a CAL to make a cot blanket for a friend. Their idea makes my heart sing, this is why we crochet and blog, to share ideas!  

The short version:
Ch 4 close ring. 8 sc into the ring and close. For all the rounds: sc ch2 sc to form corners, sc in sc of previous round to form sides. 

The long version

  1. Chain 4, close
  2. Round 1: ch1 to form first sc and work another 7 sc in ring = 8 sc
  3. Round 2: ch3 and then sc in same space (first corner), sc in sc of previous round (this forms a side), then sc ch2 sc (this forms a corner) in next space - continue until you have 4 corners and 4 sides and slip stitch into first sc to close round, slip into corner space.
  4. Round 3 (4&5): Ch3 and then sc in same stitch (corner), two times sc (side), sc ch2 sc (corner) in next space -  continue until you have 4 corners and 4 sides and slip stitch into first sc to close round, slip into corner space. Round 4 will have 3 sc on each side and Round 5 will have 4 sc. 
NOTE
I deliberately ignored the first sc that is somewhat hidden by the sc ch2 sc corner (as pointed out by needle in picture 2 below. It results in a first 5 rounds that has a slight curve when the square is viewed from the side. If you want a sharp, flat square right from the beginning, be sure to also add an sc in that specific stitch after each corner.

  1. Round 6: Ch3 and then sc in same stitch (corner), 6 times sc, then sc ch2,sc (corner). Why 6 times sc? 
  2. From round 6 onwards you will also be working in the first sc right next to the corner (see photo 2 above). In stead of automatically crocheting 5 sc on the sides as a continuation from the previous round, you will now have 6 sc as a result of crocheting into that almost hidden stitch. In each round it will also increase by 2 sc on each side in stead of just 1 sc. Holy moly, I hope this make sense to you! You need that extra stitch in order to flatten out the shape as the square grows bigger.  Just magnify these pics if my instructions are too fiddly/waffly and if you still do not get it, let me know and I will do a Youtube Tutorial. 
  3. Round 7 will have 8 sc on each side; Round 8 will have 10 sc on each side; Round 9 will have 12 sc on each side; Round 10 will have 14 sc on each side; Round 11 will have 16 sc on each side. 
  4. Round 12: I added a sc border with picot for styling purposes. Who knows, this might work for a lacy joining effect, but I haven't tried it out!


Meanwhile, in Doha through the lounge window:
 This is the view on a normal day above and during the sandstorm that just rolled in below!  

It is 21:34 and still hot as hell here.  The official reading is 39 degrees Celsius, but the apparent temparature (what it feels like according to Yahoo Weather) is  47 degrees due to the humidity and dust.  Unless one wants a free microdermabrasion, it is best to stay out of the sandpit and vegetate indoors!
The Teen Girl is busy vegetating crafting with Air-dry Clay. This is a ring featuring 4 teeth (don't ask, one doesn't interfere with Teen minds) and it has already received some pinkish and silver paint. I might just show you the finished evil eye broach and teeth ring next time I post. Tee hee, I love hormonal mindsets!   


9 comments:

  1. Hi Magda !
    Brrr, that looks kind of spooky, that sand storm...
    It looks like a cold, misty day, somewhere at the North Sea... Hard to imagine for someone way up North, that it is sand and not mist & rain, and that you have to endure a hellish 39°C !!
    I must admit, I think the Teen's teeth-ring looks special ! I'm curious to see the final, painted version ! And an evil-eyed brooch ?? Haha, just great, a Teen's mind :-) !
    'n soen & 'n drukkie, Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. love love love the granny square!
    Wij hebben hier een week met alleen maar REGEN REGEN achter de rug. Niet leuk, hoop dat het snel betert.
    Mooie ring ook
    grtjs
    pixie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing tutorial, Magda! I love the colors! and wow! what views have you from your living room! this is awesome! I laugh with ring! hahahaha! Truth is, the mind of teenagers is so creative!
    Kisses from Catalonia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Magda!

    First let me say it's been waaay too long since I last was here. Lot of catching up to do (which is a real pleasure!).

    You know - single crochet might be the most beautiful crochet stitch. I was actually very tempted to make my current polkadot blanket/wip in single crochet, but somehow I was too lazy for that. I just LOVE every bit of your square. (Many thanks for the pattern + tutorial BTW!)

    The teeth ring is pretty. So much creativity in your family, love that!

    The sandstorm, amazing views...

    Have fun!
    xhaafner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mooie foto, kleuren, square en randje! En leuk om te lezen over waar je woont en zo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Magda,
    Loved your single crochet square . thank you for sharing the pattern. Lovely views from your living room.
    following you now, will stop by often. :-)
    -Ranjitha

    ReplyDelete
  7. That heat! How can you manage? I think Helsinki did something to my internal thermoregulator- anything over 24 degrees and I'm a complaining, sweddy mess. Oooofta, 40's? I would just literally die. Drink lots of water and take care over there!

    Also, LOVE the crochet blow-by-blow. When you're in Paris, you're going to give me a hands-on lesson, right? I've never picked up crochet- I blame my clumsy giant hands. It always seemed so fiddly...

    Hope it cools down soon over there! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is perceptibly a lot to realize about this. I assume you made some good points in features also. driftwood decor australia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey very cool web site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I'll bookmark your site and take the feeds also…I'm happy to find numerous useful info here in the post, we need develop more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. discount deals australia

    ReplyDelete